Today is my birthday! I had such a great day. It made me realize I truly am in the right place and in the right time.
I read an article yesterday that was supposed to describe “The 25 Things You Should Know Before You’re 25” or something. Some rang true…but some did not. Therefore in celebration of being on the Earth for a quarter of a century I decided to share some of the lessons and things I’ve learned in 25 years.
1. Growing up is no fun.
2. What other people think shouldn’t matter so much.
3. Funerals are not for the dead, they’re for the living.
4. There’s no way you can know what you want to do with your life when you’re 8. Or 12. Or 16. Or 19. Some people do, and that’s great. But you have to explore some options first!
5. It’s really fun to surprise people…when you do something no one ever expected you to do.
6. People can also surprise you. Be open to them.
7. It’s okay to ask for help.
8. Some people have to work harder for things than others. Doesn’t make you any less smart or worthy.
9. Change is actually…good.
10. People usually show their true colors if you give them enough time.
11. It’s actually a good thing to be single. Don’t have all those embarrassing memories of the people you dated in middle school or high school. And heck, I’ve learned so much about myself by being single. Living by yourself is INTERESTING, to say the least.
12. Sometimes your greatest friends are the people you’d least expect.
13. And sometimes the people you thought were your greatest friends turn out to be not so great. But they teach you lessons.
14. True love is letting someone go, and wanting someone to be happy regardless of what it means for you.
15. Going to see a counselor is not a bad thing.
16. Everyone makes mistakes. Even…shocker…your parents.
17. Sometimes you just have to trust your gut and go with what you believe in.
18. Everything happens for a reason.
19. Starting over is the scariest thing, and the hardest…but it’s so rewarding.
20. The people who put on the biggest “acts” are sometimes the people who need you the most. (Ex. I’m so cool, I’m so macho, etc.)
21. People just want to be listened to, and want their voice to be heard.
22. You can’t control other people’s actions. The only thing you can control is how you respond to them. And people can only go off the information that they know.
23. Most misunderstandings come from miscommunications.
24. NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO LIKE YOU. NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO LIKE YOU. I REPEAT, NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO LIKE YOU.
25. Believe in yourself. Because sometimes all you have is you, and if you don’t think you’re enough, that you’re worthy, then no one else will.